Dr Eleanor Stride
Reader in Biomedical Engineering; Fellow at St Catherine's College, Oxford
Phone: +44(0)1865 617 747
Mailing address: Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Old Road Campus Research Building, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7DQ, UK
Eleanor Stride holds a B.Eng. and Ph.D. from University College London. Following the completion of her PhD in 2005 She was appointed to a lectureship and a Royal Academy of Engineering and EPSRC Research Fellowship and subsequently a Readership in 2010. She joined the Institute of Biomedical Engineering in Oxford in October 2011 when she also became a Fellow of St. Catherine’s College.
Her research is focused in two complementary areas:
(1) Drug delivery systems engineering
- Advanced encapsulation methods for the fabrication of drug carriers
- Controlled release and biophysics of therapeutic delivery -Theranostics and treatment monitoring
(2) Biomedical ultrasonics
- Engineering microbubble agents for diagnostic and therapeutic applications
- Physics of cavitation in high intensity focused ultrasound
- Biophysical effects of ultrasound
Awards and Prizes
- The Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers Venture Prize (2010)
- The Leverhulme Trust, Philip Leverhulme Prize (Biomedical Engineering) (2009)
- EPSRC & Journal of the Royal Society Interface Award (best paper for the period 2004-2009) (2009)
- Parliamentary Science, Engineering & Technology for Britain Engineering Medal (2009)
- Royal Society Brian Mercer Innovation Feasibility Award (2009)
- Royal Academy of Engineering EPSRC Research Fellowship (2005-2010)
Selected Recent Publications
- G. Mohamedi, Azmin, I. Pastoriza-Santos, V. Huang, J. Pérez-Juste, L. Liz-Marzán, M. Edirisinghe and E. Stride. “The Effects of Gold Nanoparticles on the Stability of Microbubbles”, Langmuir (accepted and in press).
- M. Azmin, G. Mohamedi, M. Edirisinghe and E. Stride. “Dissolution of Coated Microbubbles: The Effect of Nanoparticles and Surfactant Concentration”, Materials Science and Engineering C. (accepted and in press)
- J. Owen, B. Zhou, P. Rademeyer, M. Tang, Q. Pankhurst, R. Eckersley and E. Stride. Understanding the Structure and Mechanism of Formation of a New Magnetic Microbubble Formulation. Theranostics (invited – in press).
- D. Thomas, M. Butler, T. Anderson, M. Emmer, H. Vos, M. Borden, E. Stride, N. de Jong and V. Sboros. The “quasi-stable” lipid shelled microbubble in response to consecutive ultrasound pulses. Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 071601 (2012).
- J. Owen, Q. Pankhurst ,E. Stride. Magnetic targeting and ultrasound mediated drug delivery: Benefits, limitations and combination. Int. J. Hyperthermia 28: 362-73 (2012).
- C.J. Luo, E. Stride, M. Edirisinghe. “Mapping the Influence of Solubility and Dielectric Constant on Electrospinning Polycaprolactone Solutions”, Macromolecules 45: 4669-4680 (2012).
- C. Luo, S. Stoyanov, E. Stride, E. Pelan and M. Edirisinghe. A review of electrospinning versus synthetic fibre-forming technologies: Bridging the gap between laboratorial and industrial fibre productions. Chemical Society Reviews 41: 4708-4735 (2012).
- C. Sennoga, J. Yeh, J. Alter, E. Stride, P. Nihoyannopoulos, J. Seddon, D. Haskard, J. Hajnal, M. Tang and R. Eckersley. Evaluation of Methods for Sizing and Counting of Ultrasound Contrast Agents. Ultrasound In Medicine And Biology 38: 834-845 (2012).
- B. Ahmad, O. Gunduz, S. Stoyanov, E. Pelan, E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe, A Novel Hybrid System for the Fabrication of a Fibrous Mesh with Micro inclusions. Carbohydrate Polymers 89: 222-229 (2012).
- O. Gunduz, Z. Ahmad, E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe. “A device for the fabrication of multifunctional particles from microbubble suspensions”, Materials Science & Engineering C 32:1005-1010 (2012).
- A. Bohr, M. Yang, S. Baldursdottir, J. Kristensen, M. Dyas , E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe “Particle formation and characteristics of Celecoxib-loaded poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) microparticles prepared in different solvents using electrospraying” , Polymer 53: 3220-3229 (2012).
- M. Nangrejo, F. Bragman, Z. Ahmad, E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe. “Hot electrospinning of polyurethane fibres” , Materials Letters 68: 482-485 (2012).
- H. Mulvana, M. Tang, R. Eckersley, Q. Pankhurst and E. Stride. "Theoretical and Experimental Characterisation of Magnetic Microbubbles", Ultrasound Med. Biol. 38(5): 864-875 (2012).
- H. Mulvana, E. Stride, M. Tang, J. Hajnal and R. Eckersley. "The influence of gas saturation on microbubble stability", Ultrasound Med. Biol. 38(6): 1097-1100 (2012).
- M. Azmin, C. Harfield, Z. Ahmad, M. Edirisinghe and E. Stride. "How do microbubbles and ultrasound interact? Basic physical, dynamic and engineering principles", Curr. Pharm. Design 18(15): 2118-2134 (2012).
- J. Honeysett, E. Stride and Leung T. "Feasibility study of non-invasive oxygenation measurement in a deep blood vessel using acousto-optics and microbubbles", Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 737(6): 277-83 (2012).
- C. Luo, E. Stride, S. Stoyanov, E. Pelan and M. Edirisinghe. "Electrospinning short polymer micro-fibres with average aspect ratios in the range of 10-200", J. Polym. Res. 18(6): 2515-2522 (2012).
- O. Gunduz, Z. Ahmad, E. Stride, C. Tamerler and M. Edirisinghe. "Bioinspired bubble design for particle generation", J. R. Soc. Interface. 9(67):389-395 (2012).
- M. Enayati, E. Stride, M. Edirisinghe and W. Bonfield. "Modification of the release characteristics of estradiol encapsulated in PLGA particles via surface coating", Ther. Deliv. 3(2): 209-226 (2012).
- Luo, C., Stoyanov, S., Stride, E., Pelan, E., Edirisinghe, M. A review of electrospinning versus synthetic fibre-forming technologies: Bridging the gap between laboratorial and industrial fibre productions. Chemical Society Reviews (accepted and in press)
- J. Owen, Q. Pankhurst and E. Stride. Magnetic targeting and ultrasound mediated drug delivery: benefits, limitations and combination. International Journal of Hyperthermia (accepted and in press)
- Tang, M., Mulvana, H., Gauthier, T., Lim, A., Cosgrove, D., Eckersley, R., Stride E. 2011. Quantitative contrast-enhanced ultrasound imaging: a review of sources of variability. Interface Focus 1:520-539.
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., Edirisinghe, M. 2011. Nanostructured Microshells and Their Application in Controlled Release. Therapeutic Delivery 2: 1247-1257.
- Bohr, A., Kristensen, J., Stride, E., Dyas, M., Edirisinghe, M. 2011. Preparation of microspheres containing low solubility drug compound by electrohydrodynamic spraying. Int. J. Pharmaceutics, 412: 59-67.
- Martynov, S., Kostson, E., Saffari, N., Stride, E. 2011. Forced vibrations of a bubble in a liquid-filled elastic vessel. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130: 2700-2708.
- O'Brien,J., Ovenden,N., Stride,E. 2011. Accounting for the stability of microbubbles to multi-pulse excitation using a lipid-shedding model. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130: EL180-185.
- A. Bohr, J. Kristensen, M. Dyas, M. Edirisinghe and E. Stride. “Release profile and characteristics of electrosprayed particles for oral delivery of a practically insoluble drug”, J. Roy. Soc. Interface (accepted and in press).
- Mulvana, H., Stride, E., Tang, M., Hajnal, J., Eckersley, R. 2011. Temperature-Dependent Differences In The Nonlinear Acoustic Behavior Of Ultrasound Contrast Agents Revealed By High-Speed Imaging And Bulk Acoustics. Ultrasound In Medicine And Biology 37: 1509-1517.
- Honeysett J., E., Stride E., Leung T. Feasibility study of non-invasive oxygenation measurement in a deep blood vessel using acousto-optics and microbubbles. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology (accepted and in press)
- Tang, M., Loughran, J., Stride, E., Zhang, D., Eckersley, R., Effect of nonlinear bubble shell property on ultrasound nonlinear propagation through microbubble populations at low acoustic pressure. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. (accepted and in press)
- Luo, C.J., Loh, S.,Stride, E., Edirisinghe, M. Electrospraying and electrospinning of chocolate suspensions. Food & Bioprocessing Technology (accepted and in press)
- Enayati, M., Chang, M., Bragman, F., Edirisinghe, M., Stride, E. Electro-hydrodynamic Preparation of Particles, Capsules and Bubbles for Biomedical Engineering Applications. Colloids and Surfaces A (accepted and in press)
- Stride, E., Mulvana, H., Tang, M., Eckersley, R., Pankhurst, Q. 2011, Magnetic Microbubbles. In: Magnetic Nanoparticles: From Fabrication To Clinical Applications ed. Thanh, N. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis. ISBN: 9781439869321
- O'Brien,J., Ovenden,N., Stride,E. 2011, Numerical Methods in Nonlinear Acoustics in Bubbly Liquids. in Current Trends in Computational Acoustics. Series edited by Vanhille,C., Campos-Pozuelo,C.. Research Signpost (Transworld Research Network)
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., Edirisinghe, M. 2011, Stimulus-responsive Liquids for Encapsulation Storage and Controlled Release of Drugs from Nano-shell Capsules. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 8: 451-456.
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. 2010, A New Method for the Preparation of Monoporous Hollow Microspheres. Langmuir 26: 5115-5121.
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. 2010, Controlling the thickness of hollow polymeric microspheres prepared by electrohydrodynamic atomization. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 7: S451-S460.
- Honeysett, J., Stride, E., and Leung, T. 2010, Monte Carlo simulations of acousto-optics with microbubbles. Photons Plus Ultrasound: Imaging and Sensing 2010 7564:
- Mulvana, H., Stride, E., Hajnal, J. V., and Eckersley, R. J. 2010, Temperature Dependent Behavior of Ultrasound Contrast Agents. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 36: 925-934.
- Stride, E. P. and Coussios, C. C. 2010, Cavitation and contrast: the use of bubbles in ultrasound imaging and therapy. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part H-Journal of Engineering in Medicine 224: 171-191. (invited)
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. 2009, A novel process for drug encapsulation using a liquid to vapour phase change material. Soft Matter 5: 5029-5036.
- Farook, U., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. J. 2009, Preparation of suspensions of phospholipid-coated microbubbles by coaxial electrohydrodynamic atomization. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 6: 271-277 (featured as cover article and awarded best paper prize).
- Martynov, S., Stride, E., and Saffari, N. 2009, The natural frequencies of microbubble oscillation in elastic vessels. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 126: 2963-2972.
- Stride, E., Porter, C., Prieto, A. G., and Pankhurst, Q. 2009, Enhancement of Microbubble Mediated Gene Delivery by Simultaneous Exposure to Ultrasonic and Magnetic Fields. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 35: 861-868.
- Stride, E. and Edirisinghe, M. 2009, Novel preparation techniques for controlling microbubble uniformity: a comparison. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing 47: 883-892 (invited).
- Stride, E. 2009, Physical Principles of Microbubbles for Ultrasound Imaging and Therapy. Cerebrovascular Diseases 27, 1-13. (invited)
- Stride, E. 2008, The influence of surface adsorption on microbubble dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 366: 2103-2115. (invited)