Engagement with Industry
Within the IBME there is a strong culture of commercial exploitation through patents, licence agreements and the formation of spin-out companies.
We also work on business-led projects where the latest academic ideas are adopted into new products for developed and developing world healthcare markets.
Our strong links with the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust and Medical School, makes the three way collaboration between engineering, clinical medicine, and industry particularly appealing and has led to many successful clinical trials of new technologies.
Links with industry include with major OEMs (including Philips, Siemens, GE Healthcare, Vodafone, China Mobile, Celsion corporation, Chongquin Haifu, China Regeneration Medicine International), and SMEs in the Oxfordshire region. The Oxfordshire biotech cluster is one of the largest and fastest growing in the UK, and the IBME is both an academic partner in its development in its own right, but also as a provider of technologies that are licensed to companies, and highly skilled biomedical engineers for its workforce. The IBME is a member of the Oxfordshire Biosciences Network (OBN, www.obn.org.uk ) and the newly formed Academic Health Sciences Network (Oxford AHSN, www.oxfordahsn.org ).
Postgraduate research students on the Centre for Doctoral Training in Healthcare Innovation receive both training in commercialisation of research, and first hand engagement with industry partners through market research projects and research projects.
We always welcome to hear of new opportunities to engage with current and new industry partners. Various ways in which industry can engage include by:
- Attending IBME seminars and events open to industry
- Speaking at IBME events
- Sponsoring research, doctoral research students or joint collaborations
- Offering internships to students during or on completion of their doctoral research (with agreement from the supervisor for the former)
- Offering consultancies to faculty, postdoctoral researchers or students (which are typically arranged through Oxford University Consulting)
- Offering market research projects to CDT postgraduate research students
- Recruiting graduates of the Institute
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to join our industry partners mailing list.