Visa Suomi has undergraduate and graduate degrees in physics from Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland, and he has also conducted graduate studies at Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan. After graduating in 2012, he joined the Centre for Doctoral Training in Healthcare Innovation at University of Oxford to start his doctoral research under the supervision of Professor Robin Cleveland within the Department of Engineering Science. In 2015, Visa spent three months engaging in collaborative research with Professor Elisa Konofagou’s group at Columbia University, New York City.
At the University of Oxford's Biomedical Ultrasonics, Biotherapy & Biopharmaceuticals Laboratory (BUBBL), Visa's research focuses on ultrasound elastography imaging techniques, and specifically their applications in monitoring HIFU therapy.
His research interests include:
• Physical acoustics
• Ultrasound elastography in characterising mechanical properties of soft tissue
• Analysing acoustic data with different signal and image processing techniques
• Mathematical modelling of non-linear ultrasound fields
• Quantitative analysis of acoustic interaction with tissue using finite element method (FEM)
• Thermal bioeffects caused by ultrasound
• Ultrasound imaging sequence design
• Dynamic mechanical analysis (DMA) of soft tissue and viscoelastic materials
V. Suomi and R. Cleveland, "Acoustic, thermal and mechanical properties of tissue", in: V. Khokhlova, L. Crum and G. Ter Haar, Introduction to high-intensity focused ultrasound therapy, Springer, 2016.
V. Suomi, D. Edwards and R. Cleveland, "Optical quantification of harmonic acoustic radiation force excitation in a tissue-mimicking phantom", Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 3216-3232, 2015.
V. Suomi, J. Jaros, B. Treeby and R. Cleveland, "Nonlinear 3-D simulation of high-intensity focused ultrasound therapy in the kidney", Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2016 Annual International Conference of the IEEE. IEEE, 2016.
V. Suomi, E. Konofagou, D. Edwards and R. Cleveland, "Estimating acoustic radiation force induced tissue deformation during thermal ablation", 16th International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound, 2016.
V. Suomi, D. Edwards and R. Cleveland, "Measuring and modelling of harmonic acoustic radiation force induced deformations", 15th International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound, 2015.
Awards and prizes
• Finnish Foundation for Technology Promotion scholarship for PhD research (2016)
• Advanced Research Computing (ARC) HPC Showcase award for best poster (2016)
• Finnish Cultural Foundation scholarship for PhD research (2016)
• EPSRC award for overseas studies (2015)
• Finnish Cultural Foundation scholarship for PhD research (2015)
• Instrumentarium Science Foundation scholarship for PhD research (2014)
• Instrumentarium Science Foundation scholarship for PhD research (2013)
• Wihuri Foundation scholarship for PhD research (2012)
• EPSRC studentship in Healthcare Innovation for PhD research (2012)
• Finnish Cultural Foundation grant for success in mathematical subjects (2006)
Phone: +44 (0) 1865 617660
Mailing address: Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Old Road Campus
Research Building, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7DQ, United Kingdom