Professor Eleanor Stride
Phone: +44(0)1865 617 747
Mailing address: Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Old Road Campus Research Building, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7DQ, UK
Eleanor Stride holds a B.Eng. and Ph.D. from University College London. Following the completion of her PhD in 2005 She was appointed to a lectureship and a Royal Academy of Engineering and EPSRC Research Fellowship and subsequently a Readership in 2010. She joined the Institute of Biomedical Engineering in Oxford in October 2011 when she also became a Fellow of St. Catherine’s College.
Her research is focused in two complementary areas:
(1) Drug delivery systems engineering
- Advanced encapsulation methods for the fabrication of drug carriers
- Controlled release and biophysics of therapeutic delivery -Theranostics and treatment monitoring
(2) Biomedical ultrasonics
- Engineering microbubble agents for diagnostic and therapeutic applications
- Physics of cavitation in high intensity focused ultrasound
- Biophysical effects of ultrasound
Awards and Prizes
- IET AF Harvey Prize (2015)
- The Acoustical Society of America Bruce Lindsay Award (2013)
- The Worshipful Company of Armourers and Brasiers Venture Prize (2010)
- The Leverhulme Trust Philip Leverhulme Prize (Biomedical Engineering) (2009)
- EPSRC & Journal of the Royal Society Interface Award (best paper for the period 2004-2009) (2009)
- Parliamentary Science, Engineering & Technology for Britain Engineering Medal (2009)
- Royal Society Brian Mercer Innovation Feasibility Award (2009)
- Royal Academy of Engineering EPSRC Research Fellowship (2005-2010)
Selected Recent Publications (complete list of publications)
- L. Barnsley, D. Carugo, E. Stride. Optimized shapes of magnetic arrays for drug targeting applications. J. Phys. D 49: 225501 (2016).
- C. Harfield, C. Fury, G. Memoli, P. Jones, E. Stride. Analysis of the Uncertainty in Microbubble Characterisation. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 42:1412-1481 (2016)
- G. Lajoinie, E. Stride, I. Lentacker, I. De Cock, C. Coussios, S. Le Gac, M.Versluis. Methods review for the in-vitro study of bubble-cell interactions at all relevant timescales. Biomicrofluidics 10: 011501 (2016).
- C. McEwan, S. Kamila, J. Owen, H. Nesbitt, M. Taylor, M. Borden, E. Stride, A. McHale and J. Callan. Combined Sonodynamic and Antimetabolite Therapy for the Improved Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer using Oxygen Loaded Microbubbles as a Delivery Vehicle. Biomaterials 80:20-32 (2016).
- J. Owen and E. Stride. Characterisation of the Coating of Phospholipid Microbubbles by Transmission Electron Microscopy. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 41: 3253-3258 (2015)
- L. Barnsley, D. Carugo, J. Owen and E. Stride. Halbach arrays consisting of cubic elements optimized for high field gradients in magnetic drug targeting applications. Phys. Med. Biol. 60: 8303-8327 (2015)
- J. Lee, D. Carugo, C. Crake, J. Owen, M. de Saint Victor, A. Seth, C. Coussios and E. Stride. Nanoparticle-loaded Protein-Polymer Nanodroplets for Improved Stability and Conversion Efficiency in Ultrasound Imaging and Drug Delivery. Advanced Materials 27: 5484–5492 (2015).
- J. Kwan, S. Graham, R. Myers, E. Stride, R. Carlisle, C. Coussios. Ultrasound-induced inertial cavitation from gas stabilizing nanoparticles. Physical Review E 92: 023019
- T. Millard, M. Endrizzi, N. Everdell, L. Rigon, F. Arfelli, R. Menk, E. Stride and A. Olivo. On the potential for transforming x-ray imaging into a functional modality through the use of microbubble contrast agents. Scientific Reports 29:12509 (2015)
- J. Owen, P. Rademeyer, D. Chung, Q. Cheng, D. Holroyd, C. Coussios, P. Friend, Q. Pankhurst and E. Stride. Magnetic Targeting of Microbubbles against Physiologically Relevant Flow Conditions. J. Roy. Soc. Interface Focus 5: 20150001 (2015)
- D. Carugo, J. Owen, C. Crake, J. Lee and E. Stride. Biologically and acoustically compatible chamber for studying ultrasound-mediated delivery of therapeutic compounds. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 41: 1927-1937 (2015)
- C. McEwan , J. Owen , E. Stride, C. Fowley, H. Nesbitt, D. Cochrane, D. Coussios, M. Borden, A. McHale and J. Callan. Oxygen Carrying Microbubbles for Enhanced Sonodynamic Therapy of Hypoxic Tumours. Journal of Controlled Release 203: 51–56 (2015).
- P. Rademeyer, D. Carugo, J. Lee and E. Stride. "Microfluidic System for High Throughput Characterisation of Echogenic Particles", Lab on a Chip 15:417-28 (2015).
- J. Owen, P. Grove, P. Rademeyer and E. Stride."The influence of blood on targeted microbubbles", J. R. Soc. Interface 11: 20140622 (2014)
- Labbaf S, Horsley H, Chang M, Stride E, James Malone-Lee J, Edirisinghe M, Rohn J. An encapsulated drug delivery system for recalcitrant urinary tract infection J. Roy. Soc. Interface 2013 10 20130747 (cover article).
- T. Millard, M. Endrizzi, L. Rigon, F. Arfelli, R. Menk, J. Owen, E. Stride and A. Olivo Quantification of microbubble concentration through x-ray phase contrast imaging. Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 114105.
- Labbaf S, Deb S, Camma G, Stride E, Edirisinghe M. Preparation of multi-component drug delivery nanoparticles using a triple-needle electrohydrodynamic device. Journal of Colloid & Interface Science 2013, 409: 245-254.
- Chang, M. W., Edirisinghe, M., Stride, E. Ultrasound Mediated Release from Stimuli-Responsive Core-Shell Capsules. J. Mat. Chem. B 2013 1:3962-3971.
- O’Brien, J-P, Ovenden, N., Stride, E. Surfactant shedding and gas diffusion during pulsed ultrasound through a microbubble contrast agent suspension. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2013 134(2):1416-1427.
- Hosny NA, Mohamedi G, Rademeyer P, Owen J, Wu Y, Tang MX, Eckersley RJ, Stride E, Kuimova MK, 2013, Mapping microbubble viscosity using fluorescence lifetime imaging of molecular rotors, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol:110, ISSN:0027-8424, Pages:9225-9230 (cover article)
- Kamyar Firouzi, Eleanor Stride and Nader Saffari. A Theoretical Investigation of New Photoacoustic Contrast Agents. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 2013 133: 3853–3862
- Moeendarbary, E., Valon, L., Harris, A., Moulding, D., Thrasher, A., Stride, E., Mahadevan, L., Charras, G. The Cytoplasm of living cells behaves as poroelastic materials. Nature Materials 2013; 12, 253–261.
- Thomas, D., Butler, M., Anderson,T., Pelekasis, N., Stride, E., Sboros, V. The acoustic signature of decaying resonant phospholipid microbubbles. Physics in Medicine and Biology 2013; 58(3):589-99.
- Terence S. Leung; Jack E. Honeysett; Eleanor Stride; Jing Deng. Light propagation in a turbid medium with insonified microbubbles. J. Biomed. Opt. 18 (1), 015002 (January 04, 2013); doi: 10.1117/1.JBO.18.1.015002
- Panos Sofokleous, Eleanor Stride,William Bonfield, Mohan Edirisinghe. Design, Construction and Performance of a Portable Handheld Electrohydrodynamic Multi-Needle Spray Gun for Biomedical Applications. Materials Science and Engineering C 2013; 33: 213–223.
- Mohamedi, G., Azmin, M., Pastoriza-Santos, I., Huang, V., Pérez-Juste, J., Liz-Marzán, L., Edirisinghe, M., Stride, E. The Effects of Gold Nanoparticles on the Stability of Microbubbles. Langmuir 2012; 28: 13808–13815
- J. Owen, B. Zhou, P. Rademeyer, M. Tang, Q. Pankhurst, R. Eckersley, E. Stride. Understanding the Structure and Mechanism of Formation of a New Magnetic Microbubble Formulation. Theranostics 2012; 2: 1127-1139 (invited)
- D. H. Thomas, M Butler, T. Anderson, M. Emmer, H. Vos, M. Borden, E. Stride, N. de Jong, and V. Sboros. The “quasi-stable” lipid shelled microbubble in response to consecutive ultrasound pulses. Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 071601 (2012); http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4746258
- Azmin, M., Mohamedi, G., Edirisinghe, M., Stride, E. Dissolution of Coated Microbubbles: The Effect of Nanoparticles and Surfactant Concentration. Materials Science and Engineering C 32: 2654-2658 (2012).
- J. Owen, Q. Pankhurst ,E. Stride. Magnetic targeting and ultrasound mediated drug delivery: Benefits, limitations and combination. Int. J. Hyperthermia 28: 362-73 (2012).
- C.J. Luo, E. Stride, M. Edirisinghe. “Mapping the Influence of Solubility and Dielectric Constant on Electrospinning Polycaprolactone Solutions”, Macromolecules 45: 4669-4680 (2012).
- C. Luo, S. Stoyanov, E. Stride, E. Pelan and M. Edirisinghe. A review of electrospinning versus synthetic fibre-forming technologies: Bridging the gap between laboratorial and industrial fibre productions. Chemical Society Reviews 41: 4708-4735 (2012).
- C. Sennoga, J. Yeh, J. Alter, E. Stride, P. Nihoyannopoulos, J. Seddon, D. Haskard, J. Hajnal, M. Tang and R. Eckersley. Evaluation of Methods for Sizing and Counting of Ultrasound Contrast Agents. Ultrasound In Medicine And Biology 38: 834-845 (2012).
- B. Ahmad, O. Gunduz, S. Stoyanov, E. Pelan, E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe, A Novel Hybrid System for the Fabrication of a Fibrous Mesh with Micro inclusions. Carbohydrate Polymers 89: 222-229 (2012).
- O. Gunduz, Z. Ahmad, E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe. “A device for the fabrication of multifunctional particles from microbubble suspensions”, Materials Science & Engineering C 32:1005-1010 (2012).
- A. Bohr, M. Yang, S. Baldursdottir, J. Kristensen, M. Dyas , E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe “Particle formation and characteristics of Celecoxib-loaded poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) microparticles prepared in different solvents using electrospraying” , Polymer 53: 3220-3229 (2012).
- M. Nangrejo, F. Bragman, Z. Ahmad, E. Stride and M. Edirisinghe. “Hot electrospinning of polyurethane fibres” , Materials Letters 68: 482-485 (2012).
- H. Mulvana, M. Tang, R. Eckersley, Q. Pankhurst and E. Stride. "Theoretical and Experimental Characterisation of Magnetic Microbubbles", Ultrasound Med. Biol. 38(5): 864-875 (2012).
- H. Mulvana, E. Stride, M. Tang, J. Hajnal and R. Eckersley. "The influence of gas saturation on microbubble stability", Ultrasound Med. Biol. 38(6): 1097-1100 (2012).
- M. Azmin, C. Harfield, Z. Ahmad, M. Edirisinghe and E. Stride. "How do microbubbles and ultrasound interact? Basic physical, dynamic and engineering principles", Curr. Pharm. Design 18(15): 2118-2134 (2012).
- J. Honeysett, E. Stride and Leung T. "Feasibility study of non-invasive oxygenation measurement in a deep blood vessel using acousto-optics and microbubbles", Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 737(6): 277-83 (2012).
- C. Luo, E. Stride, S. Stoyanov, E. Pelan and M. Edirisinghe. "Electrospinning short polymer micro-fibres with average aspect ratios in the range of 10-200", J. Polym. Res. 18(6): 2515-2522 (2012).
- O. Gunduz, Z. Ahmad, E. Stride, C. Tamerler and M. Edirisinghe. "Bioinspired bubble design for particle generation", J. R. Soc. Interface. 9(67):389-395 (2012).
- M. Enayati, E. Stride, M. Edirisinghe and W. Bonfield. "Modification of the release characteristics of estradiol encapsulated in PLGA particles via surface coating", Ther. Deliv. 3(2): 209-226 (2012).
- Luo, C., Stoyanov, S., Stride, E., Pelan, E., Edirisinghe, M. A review of electrospinning versus synthetic fibre-forming technologies: Bridging the gap between laboratorial and industrial fibre productions. Chemical Society Reviews (accepted and in press)
- J. Owen, Q. Pankhurst and E. Stride. Magnetic targeting and ultrasound mediated drug delivery: benefits, limitations and combination. International Journal of Hyperthermia (accepted and in press)
- Tang, M., Mulvana, H., Gauthier, T., Lim, A., Cosgrove, D., Eckersley, R., Stride E. 2011. Quantitative contrast-enhanced ultrasound imaging: a review of sources of variability. Interface Focus 1:520-539.
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., Edirisinghe, M. 2011. Nanostructured Microshells and Their Application in Controlled Release. Therapeutic Delivery 2: 1247-1257.
- Bohr, A., Kristensen, J., Stride, E., Dyas, M., Edirisinghe, M. 2011. Preparation of microspheres containing low solubility drug compound by electrohydrodynamic spraying. Int. J. Pharmaceutics, 412: 59-67.
- Martynov, S., Kostson, E., Saffari, N., Stride, E. 2011. Forced vibrations of a bubble in a liquid-filled elastic vessel. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130: 2700-2708.
- O'Brien,J., Ovenden,N., Stride,E. 2011. Accounting for the stability of microbubbles to multi-pulse excitation using a lipid-shedding model. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130: EL180-185.
- A. Bohr, J. Kristensen, M. Dyas, M. Edirisinghe and E. Stride. “Release profile and characteristics of electrosprayed particles for oral delivery of a practically insoluble drug”, J. Roy. Soc. Interface (accepted and in press).
- Mulvana, H., Stride, E., Tang, M., Hajnal, J., Eckersley, R. 2011. Temperature-Dependent Differences In The Nonlinear Acoustic Behavior Of Ultrasound Contrast Agents Revealed By High-Speed Imaging And Bulk Acoustics. Ultrasound In Medicine And Biology 37: 1509-1517.
- Honeysett J., E., Stride E., Leung T. Feasibility study of non-invasive oxygenation measurement in a deep blood vessel using acousto-optics and microbubbles. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology (accepted and in press)
- Tang, M., Loughran, J., Stride, E., Zhang, D., Eckersley, R., Effect of nonlinear bubble shell property on ultrasound nonlinear propagation through microbubble populations at low acoustic pressure. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. (accepted and in press)
- Enayati, M., Chang, M., Bragman, F., Edirisinghe, M., Stride, E. Electro-hydrodynamic Preparation of Particles, Capsules and Bubbles for Biomedical Engineering Applications. Colloids and Surfaces A (accepted and in press)
- Stride, E., Mulvana, H., Tang, M., Eckersley, R., Pankhurst, Q. 2011, Magnetic Microbubbles. In: Magnetic Nanoparticles: From Fabrication To Clinical Applications ed. Thanh, N. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis. ISBN: 9781439869321
- O'Brien,J., Ovenden,N., Stride,E. 2011, Numerical Methods in Nonlinear Acoustics in Bubbly Liquids. in Current Trends in Computational Acoustics. Series edited by Vanhille,C., Campos-Pozuelo,C.. Research Signpost (Transworld Research Network)
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., Edirisinghe, M. 2011, Stimulus-responsive Liquids for Encapsulation Storage and Controlled Release of Drugs from Nano-shell Capsules. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 8: 451-456.
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. 2010, A New Method for the Preparation of Monoporous Hollow Microspheres. Langmuir 26: 5115-5121.
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. 2010, Controlling the thickness of hollow polymeric microspheres prepared by electrohydrodynamic atomization. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 7: S451-S460.
- Honeysett, J., Stride, E., and Leung, T. 2010, Monte Carlo simulations of acousto-optics with microbubbles. Photons Plus Ultrasound: Imaging and Sensing 2010 7564:
- Mulvana, H., Stride, E., Hajnal, J. V., and Eckersley, R. J. 2010, Temperature Dependent Behavior of Ultrasound Contrast Agents. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 36: 925-934.
- Stride, E. P. and Coussios, C. C. 2010, Cavitation and contrast: the use of bubbles in ultrasound imaging and therapy. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part H-Journal of Engineering in Medicine 224: 171-191. (invited)
- Chang, M. W., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. 2009, A novel process for drug encapsulation using a liquid to vapour phase change material. Soft Matter 5: 5029-5036.
- Farook, U., Stride, E., and Edirisinghe, M. J. 2009, Preparation of suspensions of phospholipid-coated microbubbles by coaxial electrohydrodynamic atomization. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 6: 271-277 (featured as cover article and awarded best paper prize).
- Martynov, S., Stride, E., and Saffari, N. 2009, The natural frequencies of microbubble oscillation in elastic vessels. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 126: 2963-2972.
- Stride, E., Porter, C., Prieto, A. G., and Pankhurst, Q. 2009, Enhancement of Microbubble Mediated Gene Delivery by Simultaneous Exposure to Ultrasonic and Magnetic Fields. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 35: 861-868.
- Stride, E. and Edirisinghe, M. 2009, Novel preparation techniques for controlling microbubble uniformity: a comparison. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing 47: 883-892 (invited).
- Stride, E. 2009, Physical Principles of Microbubbles for Ultrasound Imaging and Therapy. Cerebrovascular Diseases 27, 1-13. (invited)
- Stride, E. 2008, The influence of surface adsorption on microbubble dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 366: 2103-2115. (invited)